Tapas Ideas and a Recipe for Mushrooms with Sherry and Salsa Verde
I've been cooking a lot of Spanish cuisine this month as a participant in Fry's Taste of Spain campaign as I mentioned here, and a tapas for two was an easy and delicious lunch. This platter included:
- Marcona almonds with rosemary
- Mushrooms with sherry and salsa verde
- Hojaldrados de chorizo (chorizo in puff pastry)
- Salchichon de bellota Ibérico (salami made from acorn-fed Iberian pigs)
- Manchego cheese
- Olives with pickled garlic and oregano
All ingredients were found at Fry's (almonds, chorizo, salsa verde, and olives were part of a complimentary gift basket).
The mushrooms are easy with a prepared Spanish-style salsa verde.
Mushrooms with Sherry and Salsa Verde
- One 8 oz box of cremini/baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons of amontillado sherry
- 3 tablespoons of salsa verde
- 1-2 tablespoons of aceite de ajo y perejil (Spanish parsley and garlic sauce). Recipe here.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley to garnish
- Fresh lemon juice
Clean and cut mushrooms in half, larger ones in quarters. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a pan. Add the garlic and cook until soft. Turn the heat to medium-high, add the mushrooms and cook until they are browned. Add the sherry and continue to cook until the liquid evaporates. Add the salsa verde, parsley and garlic sauce, toss, and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and garnish with chopped parsley and a squeeze of lemon.